Bar lacing your Vans is an easy way to give them a cool new look. It’s a simple lacing technique that involves creating a ‘bar’ like effect with your laces on top of the Vans tongue, whilst the rest of the pattern runs out of sight underneath the sides.
It’s also great for just slipping on your Vans, as the lacing pattern doesn’t require a bow (just a hidden knot).
In this tutorial I’ll be showing you an easy way to bar lace Vans, including photos, a video and step by step instructions for you to follow along with.
How To Bar Lace Vans
If you would like to watch this tutorial, here is a video of me showing how to do it:
Let’s get in to the step-by-step written instructions…
- Begin by feeding your lace ends down into the two very bottom eyelets on your Vans. Double check how I have done this in the above image. You’ll see the lace ends are going down into the eyelets, not coming up into them from above.
- Next take the lace end on the right and bring it up into the second eyelet from the bottom on the right, from underneath this time. See how I’ve done this above.
- Now bring that lace over the Vans sneaker tongue and down into the second eyelet from the bottom on the left, from above. See how I did this in the above image. This will create your second ‘bar’.
- Next take the other lace end and bring it up into the third eyelet from the bottom on the left, from underneath (as pictured).
- Now take the lace over the sneaker tongue and down into the third eyelet from the bottom on the right, from above.
- Repeat this pattern until you make your way all the way up the Vans sneaker tongue. When you get to the top, simply knot the laces together loosely and tuck the lace ends out of sight down inside the Vans. You should be able to slip on your Vans like this, but you can spend some time adjusting the lace slack so it feels comfortable.
When complete move on to the other shoe and repeat!
I hope you found this tutorial on bar lacing Vans helpful and you decide to give it a try on your Vans!
For more shoelace content, check out: