Many style-savvy shoppers want to find Doc Martens alternatives to add to their shoe collection. Whether you’re on a budget, or you don’t want to spend months breaking in a pair of the real thing, here is a guide to the BEST affordable and on-trend Doc Martens alternatives.
Through process of elimination I have picked 21 pairs of Docs Martens alternatives that pass the bar in terms of price, quality and style.
Without tooting my own horn too much I’m somewhat of a doc martens aficionado. I found my first first pair at 17 years old in a vintage store, for only £25 after I’d been obsessing over the brand for a few years, but didn’t have the cash to splurge on a new pair. Discovering them was like magic – they were my size and the exact shade I wanted. Here’s a photo of them:
Since finding these 11 years ago I’ve gone on to own several pairs of new Docs, but none have ever felt as magical as the pair I got for cheap.
I appreciate we can’t all afford new pairs of Doc Martens at full price – so enter the Doc Martens alternatives!
I wish I’d known about these when I was younger, which is why I’ve curated this list here for others to browse, keeping in mind all of the things about the brand I would like to see in an alternative.
Why you should grab a pair of Doc Martens alternatives:
- They are usually far cheaper than Doc Martens, most of the time under half of the price.
- Alternatives are often easier to break in, if you don’t fancy the blisters.
- There’s a larger range of styles of alternatives – you can get two to three different pairs of alternatives for the same price as one pair of Docs – much more style-bang for your buck!
Here are 21 doc martens alternatives, as picked out by a long time fan of the brand…
This post may link to online stores. If you click a link and buy something, I may get a commission. Learn more.
1. Top Doc Martens alternative pick
The Steve Madden Bettyy boots in black are my top pick, and are currently my favourite pair of boots that I own. You can take a look at them on the Steve Madden website here.
Coming in at under half the price of Jadons, they are an amazing Doc Martens dupe. They look and feel so similar to the real thing, but they don’t carry the same price tag (or take months to break in). They are fantastic cheaper alternatives to Doc Martens, made with a comfortable upper.
Here’s a photo of how they look next to the real thing, so you can see how similar they are:
- They feature a waterproof finish. Lace up with a metal eyelet design – very similar to the Doc Martens style. Plus a zipper on the side which I really like – they are super easy to take on and off.
- Great price! These boots come in at around about half of the cost of Dr. Martens.
- They feature chunky stitching on the soles, just like Docs (although the stitching is white not yellow).
- Super high quality lug rubber sole that’s non-slip and wear resistant – a good sole is really important to look out for, as you want to boots to last.
- Most important – a cushioned footbed for comfort. No painful wearing in! I absolutely love wearing them.
- They aren’t real leather, which is a shame, but their low price reflects this.
Overall they are a super cool looking pair of boots and measure up well to real Docs, but for a much more affordable price.
Here’s a video of me showing them on, and discussing my top Doc Martens alternative picks in detail:
2. Burgundy Doc Martens look alikes (also available in black and white)
My top pick for burgundy Doc Martens dupes are the Hawkwell Women’s Combat Boots, you can take a look at their current price here.
These cheap Doc Martens look-alikes are an excellent dupe for the burgundy style Docs. They are super affordable, for those on a budget coming in at less than a quarter of the price of real Docs!
Here’s how they look compared to the real thing:
They are also very comfortable made from soft material, so they’re easy to break in in my experience.
I also want to note they are available in black and white color options too. Perfect for that classic punk rock look!
- Faux leather upper – great choice for vegan consumers.
- Comfortable cushioned insole – great for walking in.
- Rubber outsole for good wear and comfort.
- Convenient side zipper and lace up for easy pulling on and off. – Great for lazy folks like me who don’t unlace their boots!
- Round toe style for the Doc Martens look.
- The side zipper whilst convenient is not a feature on real Doc Martens, but as it’s on the inside ankle side, it’s not super visible.
3. Mary Janes Doc Martens alternatives
As an affordable alternative to my Doc Martens Mary Janes I’ve gone for these platform Mary Janes style heeled shoes, that you can get here.
I know they are a little different in design, but I really love the chunkier platform heel on these. They give that cute look for a fraction of the cost. In terms of quality of the sole the Docs really can’t be compared too, but for less than a quarter of the price I can’t really complain.
Here’s how they look next to the Doc Martens version:
- Now these are much, much cheaper than the Doc Martens version coming in under a quarter of the price of Docs Mary Janes, and their quality does reflect that.
- You do get what you pay for after all, but that being said these Mary Janes are a nice alternative if you really want that look but can’t fork out hundreds of dollars to get it.
- They are much lighter than the Docs version, which might be a pro for some. No clunky weight on your feet.
- They feature a nice pull tab whereas my Docs Mary Janes don’t.
- One con however is their strap is held on by Velcro and the buckle is just for style. At first I didn’t like this, but after wearing them I found they were more effortless to take on and off.
Overall they are super cute and cheap, making them my top alternative pick for Doc Martens Mary Janes.
4. Doc Martens 1461 alternatives
Dunes Women’s Cash Oxford SHOP HERE
Finding a good pair of Doc Martens 1461 alternatives can be tricky. After trawling the web for a while I finally found these Cash Oxford shoes by Dunes. They are an excellent shoe that is very similar to the 1461s.
- These shoes are made with Vegan Leather upper – an excellent choice for conscious consumers.
- Thick, nice quality functional laces.
- Super comfy Memory Foam Insoles – this is so important when looking for a Dr. Martens dupe. Comfort is everything!
- Lined with Soft Vegan leather lining, and detailed with quality Metal lace eyelets.
- Wear resistant – Durable long lasting lug Outsole so the shoes last for a long time.
- They fit true to size!
- Hard shoe with not a lot of bend to it – keep this in mind. Great if this is the style you’re going for, and similar to Doc Martens in this aspect.
- Quite shiny so keep this in mind when purchasing.
5. Cheapest Doc Martens look alike
ICHIGO Women’s Fashion Ankle Booties SHOP HERE
If you’re on a budget and you love the Doc Martens look, then these boots by ICHIGO are for you! They’re the best doc martens cheap alternative, when you take into consideration price and quality too.
Cheap doc martens look-alikes that are made well are a little hard to come by, especially if you’re looking to shop on a budget. But these boots fit the bill!
- These boots have the classic stitching along the bottom and the metal eyelets making them a good dupe.
- SUPER CHEAP!
- The sole is non-skid and has great grip.
- A cushioned footbed for comfort.
- Soft PU material – great as you won’t struggle to break them in!
- Not leather – keep this in mind. Leather couldn’t really be expected at this price.
You may also like: BEST Socks To Wear With Doc Martens – Comfort & Style Review
6. Dr Martens 1460 alternatives
WHITE MOUNTAIN Women’s Combat Boot SHOP HERE
When searching for good Dr Martens 1460 alternatives it was difficult to find a boot with the double buckle detailing at the top. BUT these boots by WHITE MOUNTAIN are to die for! They do feature a buckle detailing similar to the Dr Martens 1460s, although it’s towards the bottom of the boot.
The effect is still very similar, and along with the quality and price of the boot these are a great dupe.
- Cushioned insole for maximum comfort when walking.
- Treaded outsole for great grip and durability.
- Cool buckle detailing for an edgy look.
- These boots run a little big – great for wearing with chunky socks, but if in doubt size a half size down.
7. Slip on, no-lace Doc Martens dupes
Dirty Laundry Women’s Margo Ankle Boot SHOP HERE
How cool do these chunky slip-on Chelsea style boots look? This style is so on-trend at the moment and for good reason – it’s edgy and cute. These are a great dupe by Dirty Laundry for the Doc Martens Chelsea boot style.
- Chunky lug sole for great grip and a stylish look.
- Side gore panels for the Chelsea boot style.
- Super cute printed pull tab for the Doc Martens feel.
- A little hard to break in, but once you do they’re comfortable.
- They run a little small and narrow so size up if you have a wide step.
You may also like: How to Break in Doc Martens Fast – ULTIMATE Guide
8. Chelsea boot Doc Martens look-alikes
Skechers Women’s Peaked-Waterproof Leather Chelsea Boot with Memory Foam Cushioning SHOP HERE
These Chelsea style shoes are great boots like doc martens, as they capture that style so well. The printed pull tab and burgundy colour really sells me on these dupes, as they really do look like the real thing. They are also an excellent price!
- Easy to wear, pull on shape.
- Cheaper price for those wanting to enjoy the Dr. Martens look without splurging.
- Super comfy cushioned insole – great for walking in.
- Chunky rubber outsole for comfort.
- Pull tab for the Doc Martens look.
- Not vegan leather – this makes them a bad option for vegan consumers.
9. Platform Chunky Doc Martens style boots
MOMOKA Women’s Ankle Boots Slip On Platform Boots SHOP HERE
How cool are these boots by MOMOKA? The chunky platform style is really fashionable at the moment, and they have the Doc Martens style round toe, for a classically edgy look. Made from great quality Vegan material, these boots are a great deal for the price.
- 100% Vegan – no animal friends were hurt during the making on these on-trend boots.
- Durable and slip-resistant comfortable sole, of a platform style.
- Cushioned insole for comfy feet.
- Super on-trend style – they are just so cool!
- Not much give or flexibility in the outsole, so keep that in mind if you like a flexible shoe.
10. Patent leather similar Doc Martens 1461 style shoes
DADAWEN Women’s Platform Lace-Up Comfort Wingtips SHOP HERE
A really cute twist on an Oxford, shoe, these shoes by DADAWEN are a great alternative for 1461s if you like the smaller Doc Marten style. Whilst not exactly the same style, they will add a similar vibe to your outfits. Pair these with white socks, a pleated skirt and a black turtleneck for a chic on-trend look.
- Patent leather design for a similar Doc Martens style.
- Rubber sole for durability and comfort – super important when walking this these types of shoe.
- The design features a super cute lace-up closure with chunky laces for that Dr. Martens look. They are a retro British design, perfect for those who love that style.
- Water resistant and the leather upper is really durable.
- The lining is very comfortable and breathable, which is so important in these types of shoes – nobody like sweaty feet! They also feature a lightweight, flexible outsole.
- The platform is really comfortable and it’s non-skid for safety. It’s way lighter than you would think too, so no clunky steps.
- They run a tiny bit big, so wear with chunky socks or size half a size down if you don’t have a wide step.
11. Memory foam lined Doc Martens dupes – super comfy!
Dunes Women’s Dannon lace up Boot +Memory Foam SHOP HERE
These memory foam boots by Dunes are excellent Dr Martens alternatives for comfort. Maybe you love the chunky work boots/combat boots look that’s marketed by Doc Martens but you can’t stand the pain and blisters that comes from breaking them in? Enter a memory foam alternative, that’s built with comfort in mind!
These boots are also a great price making them an all round steal in my opinion.
- Nice soft and smooth vegan leather upper – great for conscious consumers.
- They feature a handy side zipper and a pull tab for ease of use when taking them on and off.
- Soft fabric lining and super comfortable memory foam lining for the ultimate comfort when wearing.
- They also have a long lasting chunky lug outsole with good grip.
- They are a good price but you get what you pay for. If you are looking for a long lasting durable boot you’ll need to fork out a bit more cash.
12. Memory foam Chelsea Boot Doc Martens alternatives
Dunes Women’s Dalya Chelsea Boot +Memory Foam SHOP HERE
Want the comfort of memory foam and the cool style of the Chelsea boot look? Look no further, these memory foam lined boots from Dunes are a great dupe for the Dr. Martens Chelsea boots, but they’re more comfortable (and a fraction of the price).
- Soft Vegan leather upper
- Double side gore panels for the Chelsea boot look – super breathable too.
- Trendy pull tab, similar to the Doc Martens style.
- Chunky long-lasting lug outsole for skid-resistant grip and durability.
- The outer sole can be quite stiff and needs breaking in.
13. Jadon Doc Martens alternative
MOMOKA Women’s Ankle Boots Slip On Platform Boots SHOP HERE
These chunky platform combat boots with taller shafts are perfect for a tough and trendy look. Pair these beauties with ditsy floral mini dresses for a 90s grunge vibe, or wear with your favourite mom jeans and a classic white tee for a chic, but cool look.
They are a good alternative for the Jadon Doc Martens, as they’re slightly taller on the calves.
- 100% vegan – no animal friends were hurt making these cool boots!
- Durable, slip-resistant comfort sole, for easy walking.
- Cushioned insole for added comfort – keep those heels happy!
- Can be a little narrow if you have wide feet, so keep that in mind when choosing your size.
14. Patent leather Doc Martens look alike
SODA Combat Boots SHOP HERE
Here’s another 90s inspired combat boot, but in super cool patent leather style. But don’t worry, these awesome boots are vegan! They are also a good dupe for Doc Martens boots, but with a shiny finish.
- Chunky lug rubber sole.
- 100% leather, which is great for the low price.
- Padded foot bed and a comfortable upper, for maximum comfort when walking.
- Functional lace ups for a classic feel similar to Doc Martens.
- A little bit stiff at first but this goes away after a couple of wears.
15. White Doc Martens look alikes
Want to grab a pair of white Docs but you don’t want to splurge on a hefty price tag? There are alternatives available! These stunning white combat boots by Hawkwell really look the part.
The printed pull tab, the metal eyelets and the chunky laces are definitely Doc Martens inspired, and make for an awesome dupe.
- These looks look so similar to Doc Martens – they’re a great choice.
- Good price point!
- Side zipper for easy removal and slipping on.
- Cushioned insole and chunky rubber outsole for comfort.
- Waterproof exterior.
- Not leather, so they don’t measure up to docs in this regard.
16. Combat boots Doc Martens dupes
Dunes Women’s Desi Lace up Boot SHOP HERE
These combat boots are great quality for the price, and are super comfortable too, making them a good alternative to Doc Martens. They are a nice simple combat boot that will pair well with a lot of outfits.
- Really soft and smooth vegan leather upper.
- Functioned waxed laces for a waterproof finish.
- Memory foam insoles – this is huge for comfort!
- Soft fleece lining for warmth during the inter months – this is a great addition that makes such a difference when it’s chilly.
- Slightly squeaky in the beginning but will wear off.
17. Chunky heeled combat boots Doc Martens style
DREAM PAIRS Women’s Chunky Heel Ankle Booties SHOP HERE
A more feminine and dressy style combat boot is a heeled version. many are sold by Doc Martens, but they come with the price, and some wearing to break in. There are loads of alternatives available, but this set of boots by DREAM PAIRS wins out for me. Here’s why:
- Stylish and feminine block high heel with a rounded toe for a fashionable look.
- Side zipper for ease when taking on and off.
- They have a little pocket built in that’s great for holding cash and cards, and even keys.
- Made with soft PU upper.
- Fit true to size.
- A little more arch support would be better, but fine if you’re wearing for a night out and not walking long distances in them.
18. Croc patterned Dr. Martens look alikes
Steve Madden Women’s Tornado Combat Boot SHOP HERE
These boots by Steve Madden are everything! The croc detailing and the chunky sole is so on-trend right now. They would look great as part of cool and edgy outfits, or with cute dresses for a juxtaposition of style.
They look similar to the Dr Martens style, but have a fun croc twist which makes them feel more unique in my opinion.
- A stylish chunky heel.
- Great tread on the outer sole, sturdy and non-slip. Great if you’re on your feet all day.
- Functional lace-up design.
- Amazing quality and design for the price!
- 100% Vegan leather.
- After time the vegan leather will wrinkle – but this is to be expected in all shoes.
19. Tall Dr. Martens cheap alternative
DREAM PAIRS Knee High Combat Boots SHOP HERE
These tall boots by DREAM PAIRS have an edgier look as they go so high up the calves. They’re a great alternative for Doc Martens if you want to rock that punk rock look on a budget.
- Knee high shaft for an edgy look.
- Chunky platform sole that you’ll really stand out in.
- Side zip closures so you can get them on and off easily.
- 100% vegan leather!
- They’ll take a little while to break in.
20. Dr. Martens dupes with chain detailing
If you’re looking for boots with a little extra detail that are more affordable than Doc Martens, then these Jeossy boots fit the bill! The booties are chunky and comfortable and feature a cool chain design that hangs around the shaft.
- Chunky outer sole with good grip.
- Chain detailing for added style.
- Slip on style for ease putting on and taking off.
- A little stiff when first worn, but they soften up with time.
21. Amazon essentials Doc Martens alternatives
Amazon Essentials Women’s Lace Up Combat Boot SHOP HERE
You can’t go wrong with a classic simple combat boot as an alternative to a pair of Doc Martens. Get the tough, edgy look for a fraction of the price, by getting a more simple boot that’s arguably more wearable. These Amazon essentials boots will match everything – wear them with jeans or dresses for a cute punky look.
They are also SO affordable!
- Chunky rubber soles.
- Inside zipper for easy access when slipping on and taking off.
- A breathable jersey lining – this is so important, especially in the warmer months!
- Faux leather – vegan friendly!
- Great price!
- Size up if you want some wiggle room or to wear chunky socks!
If you’re enjoying this article share it on Pinterest!
We can never have enough boots (am I right?!), so save this post for later by sharing it to Pinterest. Refer to it again next time you fancy some new boots and want to read a review!
What to look for in a Doc Martens alternative
When searching for Doc Martens alternatives keep in mind these three things:
- Quality – Do you want real leather boots or vegan friendly shoes? Look for a quality material whichever your choice and make sure the boots are breathable. There’s nothing worse than sweaty feet that can’t breath in your shoes. It’s also key to make sure you size up or down depending on the boot and whether you want to wear chunky socks. Some boots are more narrow so you’ll need to size up, whereas others run a little large, so you can wear you winter socks with them.
- Price – After you’ve decided on the quality of the boots you would like, you need to set yourself a reasonable price point that fits your budget. In honesty, you get what you pay for. It’s best to try and balance budget and quality, to make sure you’re really thinking about how the boots will work for you.
- Style – When shopping for Doc Martens alternatives there are a few that are so close to the style of the brand that you should be able to get a close dupe. But – there are so many styles of combat boots out there with the Dr. Martens silhouette, but with much funkier patterns and styles. Why not get something a little less well known, but more unique, so you can stand out from the crowd.
Thank you for reading this Doc Martens Alternatives affordable guide! I hope you feel inspired to shop for some cheap Dr. Martens dupes to add to your shoe collection.
Choosing an affordable pair is so much fun, and it’s sometimes better than buying the Docs themselves – in terms of price, breaking them in and range of styles available. Treat yourself to a pair and enjoy rocking the style on a budget!
If you enjoyed this article I’d be honoured if you checked out more fun reads below…
Lorna is a footwear geek and the founder of Wearably Weird. She created a YouTube channel in 2021 for fellow footwear fanatics, dedicated to detail-rich footwear reviews and info. She has a fashion media qualification (awarded in 2011).