Many style-savvy shoppers want to find Doc Martens alternatives to add to their shoe collection. Whether you’re on a budget, or you don’t want to spend months breaking in a pair of the real thing, here is a guide to the BEST affordable and on-trend Doc Martens alternatives.
I spent a few days trawling the web and read all of the forums and product reviews (so you don’t have to) collecting all of my research – including the best picks for purchase!
Through process of elimination I have picked 21 pairs of Docs Martens alternatives that pass the bar in terms of price, quality and style.
Without tooting my own horn too much I’m also somewhat of a doc martens aficionado. I found my first first pair at 17 years old in a vintage store, for only £25 after I’d been obsessing over the brand for a few years, but didn’t have the cash to splurge on a new pair. Discovering them was like magic – they were my size and the exact shade I wanted. Here’s a photo of them:
Since finding these 11 years ago I’ve gone on to own several pairs of new Docs, but none have ever felt as magical as the pair I got for cheap.
I appreciate we can’t all afford new pairs of Doc Martens at full price – so enter the Doc Martens alternatives!
I wish I’d known about these when I was younger, which is why I’ve curated this list here for others to browse, keeping in mind all of the things about the brand I would like to see in an alternative.
Why you should grab a pair of Doc Martens alternatives:
- They are usually far cheaper than Doc Martens, most of the time under half of the price.
- Alternatives are often easier to break in, if you don’t fancy the blisters.
- There’s a larger range of styles of alternatives – you can get two to three different pairs of alternatives for the same price as one pair of Docs – much more style-bang for your buck!
Here are 21 doc martens alternatives, as picked out by a long time fan of the brand…
This post may link to online stores. If you click a link and buy something, I may get a commission. Learn more.
1. Top Doc Martens alternative pick
Steve Madden Women’s Tornado Combat Boot SHOP HERE
These combat boots from Steve Madden are an amazing Doc Martens dupe. They look and feel so similar to the real thing, but they don’t carry the same price tag (or take months to break in). They are fantastic cheaper alternatives to Doc Martens, made from super soft leather.
- Vegan leather, with a waterproof finish. Lace up with a metal eyelet design – very similar to the Doc Martens style.
- Great price! These boots come in at around about half of the cost of Dr. Martens.
- Super high quality lug rubber sole that’s non-slip and wear resistant – a good sole is really important to look out for, as you want to boots to last.
- Most important – a cushioned footbed for comfort. No painful wearing in! All of the reviews are very positive for comfort.
- They run slightly large – this is great for wearing thick socks, but if you’re planning on wearing thin socks then size a half size down.
2. Doc Martens 1461 alternatives
Dunes Women’s Cash Oxford SHOP HERE
Finding a good pair of Doc Martens 1461 alternatives can be tricky. After trawling the web for a while I finally found these Cash Oxford shoes by Dunes. They are an excellent shoe that is very similar to the 1461s.
- These shoes are made with Vegan Leather upper – an excellent choice for conscious consumers.
- Thick, nice quality functional laces.
- Super comfy Memory Foam Insoles – this is so important when looking for a Dr. Martens dupe. Comfort is everything!
- Lined with Soft Vegan leather lining, and detailed with quality Metal lace eyelets.
- Wear resistant – Durable long lasting lug Outsole so the shoes last for a long time.
- They fit true to size!
- Hard shoe with not a lot of bend to it – keep this in mind. Great if this is the style you’re going for, and similar to Doc Martens in this aspect.
- Quite shiny so keep this in mind when purchasing.
If you’re like me and you love the on-trend 1461s and frilled socks look, then don’t forget to grab a few pairs to wear with these shoes:
Lovely double needle lace edge socks SHOP HERE
3. Cheapest Doc Martens look alike
ICHIGO Women’s Fashion Ankle Booties SHOP HERE
If you’re on a budget and you love the Doc Martens look, then these boots by ICHIGO are for you! They’re the best doc martens cheap alternative, when you take into consideration price and quality too.
Cheap doc martens look-alikes that are made well are a little hard to come by, especially if you’re looking to shop on a budget. But these boots fit the bill!
- These boots have the classic stitching along the bottom and the metal eyelets making them a good dupe.
- SUPER CHEAP!
- The sole is non-skid and has great grip.
- A cushioned footbed for comfort.
- Soft PU material – great as you won’t struggle to break them in!
- Not leather – keep this in mind. Leather couldn’t really be expected at this price.
You may also like: BEST Socks To Wear With Doc Martens – Comfort & Style Review
4. Dr Martens 1460 alternatives
WHITE MOUNTAIN Women’s Combat Boot SHOP HERE
When searching for good Dr Martens 1460 alternatives it was difficult to find a boot with the double buckle detailing at the top. BUT these boots by WHITE MOUNTAIN are to die for! They do feature a buckle detailing similar to the Dr Martens 1460s, although it’s towards the bottom of the boot.
The effect is still very similar, and along with the quality and price of the boot these are a great dupe.
- Cushioned insole for maximum comfort when walking.
- Treaded outsole for great grip and durability.
- Cool buckle detailing for an edgy look.
- These boots run a little big – great for wearing with chunky socks, but if in doubt size a half size down.
5. Slip on, no-lace Doc Martens dupes
Dirty Laundry Women’s Margo Ankle Boot SHOP HERE
How cool do these chunky slip-on Chelsea style boots look? This style is so on-trend at the moment and for good reason – it’s edgy and cute. These are a great dupe by Dirty Laundry for the Doc Martens Chelsea boot style.
- Chunky lug sole for great grip and a stylish look.
- Side gore panels for the Chelsea boot style.
- Super cute printed pull tab for the Doc Martens feel.
- A little hard to break in, but once you do they’re comfortable.
- They run a little small and narrow so size up if you have a wide step.
You may also like: How to Break in Doc Martens Fast – ULTIMATE Guide
6. Burgundy doc martens look alikes
Hawkwell Women’s Combat Boots SHOP HERE
These cheap Doc Martens look-alikes are an excellent dupe for the burgundy style Docs. They are super affordable, for those on a budget. They are also very comfortable made from soft material, so they’re easy to break in. Perfect for that classic punk rock look!
- Faux leather upper – great choice for vegan consumers.
- Comfortable cushioned insole – great for walking in.
- Rubber outsole for good wear and comfort.
- Convenient side zipper and lace up for easy pulling on and off. – Great for lazy folks like me who don’t unlace their boots!
- Round toe style for the Doc Martens look.
- The side zipper whilst convenient is not a feature on real Doc Martens, but as it’s on the inside ankle side, it’s not super visible.
7. Chelsea boot doc martens look-alikes
Skechers Women’s Peaked-Waterproof Leather Chelsea Boot with Memory Foam Cushioning SHOP HERE
These Chelsea style shoes are great boots like doc martens, as they capture that style so well. The printed pull tab and burgundy colour really sells me on these dupes, as they really do look like the real thing. They are also an excellent price!
- Easy to wear, pull on shape.
- Cheaper price for those wanting to enjoy the Dr. Martens look without splurging.
- Super comfy cushioned insole – great for walking in.
- Chunky rubber outsole for comfort.
- Pull tab for the Doc Martens look.
- Not vegan leather – this makes them a bad option for vegan consumers.
8. Platform Chunky Doc Martens style boots
MOMOKA Women’s Ankle Boots Slip On Platform Boots SHOP HERE
How cool are these boots by MOMOKA? The chunky platform style is really fashionable at the moment, and they have the Doc Martens style round toe, for a classically edgy look. Made from great quality Vegan material, these boots are a great deal for the price.
- 100% Vegan – no animal friends were hurt during the making on these on-trend boots.
- Durable and slip-resistant comfortable sole, of a platform style.
- Cushioned insole for comfy feet.
- Super on-trend style – they are just so cool!
- Not much give or flexibility in the outsole, so keep that in mind if you like a flexible shoe.
9. Patent leather similar Doc Martens 1461 style shoes
DADAWEN Women’s Platform Lace-Up Comfort Wingtips SHOP HERE
A really cute twist on an Oxford, shoe, these shoes by DADAWEN are a great alternative for 1461s if you like the smaller Doc Marten style. Whilst not exactly the same style, they will add a similar vibe to your outfits. Pair these with white socks, a pleated skirt and a black turtleneck for a chic on-trend look.
- Patent leather design for a similar Doc Martens style.
- Rubber sole for durability and comfort – super important when walking this these types of shoe.
- The design features a super cute lace-up closure with chunky laces for that Dr. Martens look. They are a retro British design, perfect for those who love that style.
- Water resistant and the leather upper is really durable.
- The lining is very comfortable and breathable, which is so important in these types of shoes – nobody like sweaty feet! They also feature a lightweight, flexible outsole.
- The platform is really comfortable and it’s non-skid for safety. It’s way lighter than you would think too, so no clunky steps.
- Some customers have mentioned they run a tiny bit big, so wear with chunky socks or size half a size down if you don’t have a wide step.
10. Memory foam lined Doc Martens dupes – super comfy!
Dunes Women’s Dannon lace up Boot +Memory Foam SHOP HERE
These memory foam boots by Dunes are excellent Dr Martens alternatives for comfort. Maybe you love the chunky work boots/combat boots look that’s marketed by Doc Martens but you can’t stand the pain and blisters that comes from breaking them in? Enter a memory foam alternative, that’s built with comfort in mind!
These boots are also a great price making them an all round steal in my opinion.
- Nice soft and smooth vegan leather upper – great for conscious consumers.
- They feature a handy side zipper and a pull tab for ease of use when taking them on and off.
- Soft fabric lining and super comfortable memory foam lining for the ultimate comfort when wearing.
- They also have a long lasting chunky lug outsole with good grip.
- They are a good price but you get what you pay for. If you are looking for a long lasting durable boot you’ll need to fork out a bit more cash.
11. Memory foam Chelsea Boot Doc Martens alternatives
Dunes Women’s Dalya Chelsea Boot +Memory Foam SHOP HERE
Want the comfort of memory foam and the cool style of the Chelsea boot look? Look no further, these memory foam lined boots from Dunes are a great dupe for the Dr. Martens Chelsea boots, but they’re more comfortable (and a fraction of the price).
- Soft Vegan leather upper
- Double side gore panels for the Chelsea boot look – super breathable too.
- Trendy pull tab, similar to the Doc Martens style.
- Chunky long-lasting lug outsole for skid-resistant grip and durability.
- The outer sole can be quite stiff and needs breaking in.
12. Jadon Doc Martens alternative
MOMOKA Women’s Ankle Boots Slip On Platform Boots SHOP HERE
These chunky platform combat boots with taller shafts are perfect for a tough and trendy look. Pair these beauties with ditsy floral mini dresses for a 90s grunge vibe, or wear with your favourite mom jeans and a classic white tee for a chic, but cool look.
They are a good alternative for the Jadon Doc Martens, as they’re slightly taller on the calves.
- 100% vegan – no animal friends were hurt making these cool boots!
- Durable, slip-resistant comfort sole, for easy walking.
- Cushioned insole for added comfort – keep those heels happy!
- Can be a little narrow if you have wide feet, so keep that in mind when choosing your size.
13. Patent leather Doc Martens look alike
ILLUDE Women’s Lace-Up Combat Boots SHOP HERE
Here’s another 90s inspired platform combat boot, but in super cool patent leather style. But don’t worry, these awesome boots are vegan! They are also a good dupe for the Jadon Doc Martens boots, but with a shiny finish.
- 100% vegan – great for those who are looking to shop more responsibly. Eco-friendly and not harming the environment!
- Padded foot bed and a comfortable upper, for maximum comfort when walking.
- Functional lace ups for a classic feel similar to Doc Martens.
- A little bit stiff at first but this goes away after a couple of wears.
14. White Doc Martens look alikes
Lugz Women’s Dutch Classic 6-inch Chukka Fashion Boot SHOP HERE
Want to grab a pair of white Docs but you don’t want to splurge on a hefty price tag? There are alternatives available! These stunning white combat boots by Lugz really look the part.
The printed pull tab, the metal eyelets and the chunky laces are definitely Doc Martens inspired, and make for an awesome dupe.
- These looks look so similar to Doc Martens – they’re a great choice.
- Good price point!
- Laces for easy removal and slipping on.
- Vegan materials. Cushioned insole and chunky rubber outsole for comfort.
- The metal eyelets can be a little loose – one customer lost one after wearing.
15. Combat boots Doc Martens dupes
Dunes Women’s Desi Lace up Boot SHOP HERE
These combat boots are great quality for the price, and are super comfortable too, making them a good alternative to Doc Martens. They are a nice simple combat boot that will pair well with a lot of outfits.
- Really soft and smooth vegan leather upper.
- Functioned waxed laces for a waterproof finish.
- Memory foam insoles – this is huge for comfort!
- Soft fleece lining for warmth during the inter months – this is a great addition that makes such a difference when it’s chilly.
- Slightly squeaky in the beginning but will wear off.
16. Chunky heeled combat boots Doc Martens style
DREAM PAIRS Women’s Chunky Heel Ankle Booties SHOP HERE
A more feminine and dressy style combat boot is a heeled version. many are sold by Doc Martens, but they come with the price, and some wearing to break in. There are loads of alternatives available, but this set of boots by DREAM PAIRS wins out for me. Here’s why:
- Stylish and feminine block high heel with a rounded toe for a fashionable look.
- Side zipper for ease when taking on and off.
- They have a little pocket built in that’s great for holding cash and cards, and even keys.
- Made with soft PU upper.
- Fit true to size.
- A little more arch support would be better, but fine if you’re wearing for a night out and not walking long distances in them.
17. Croc patterned Dr. Martens look alikes
Steve Madden Women’s Tornado Combat Boot SHOP HERE
These boots by Steve Madden are everything! The croc detailing and the chunky sole is so on-trend right now. They would look great as part of cool and edgy outfits, or with cute dresses for a juxtaposition of style.
They look similar to the Dr Martens style, but have a fun croc twist which makes them feel more unique in my opinion.
- A stylish chunky heel.
- Great tread on the outer sole, sturdy and non-slip. Great if you’re on your feet all day.
- Functional lace-up design.
- Amazing quality and design for the price!
- 100% Vegan leather.
- After time the vegan leather will wrinkle – but this is to be expected in all shoes.
18. Cow print Doc Martens alternatives
Qupid Raffi Combat Boots for Women SHOP HERE
Check out how cool these cow print boots are by Qupid. They showcase another Dr. Martens inspired silhouette but pair it with a funky pattern, that makes the style so much more unique. Cow print has been super in-style in the past couple of years, making these boots really popular with fashion conscious people.
- Awesome unique pattern – definitely an eye catching conversation starter!
- Lace-up and zip up for an easy fit.
- True to size for US customers.
- Made from Vegan synthetic materials.
- The material seems to be a little soft, so keep this in mind if you like a sturdier boot.
19. Tall Dr. Martens cheap alternative
READYSALTED Women’s Knee High Combat Boots SHOP HERE
These tall boots by READYSALTED have an edgier look as they go so high up the calves. They’re a great alternative for Doc Martens if you want to rock that punk rock look on a budget.
- Knee high shaft for an edgy look.
- Chunky platform sole that you’ll really stand out in.
- Side zip closures so you can get them on and off easily.
- 100% vegan leather!
- They’ll take a little while to break in.
20. Dr. martens dupes with chain detailing
Kino London Women’s Chain Lace Up Ankle Boots SHOP HERE
If you’re looking for boots with a little extra detail that are more affordable than doc Martens, then these Kino London boots fit the bill! The booties are chunky and comfortable and feature a cool chain design that hangs around the shaft. They are available in patent and in standard look synthetic leather.
- Chunky outer sole with good grip.
- Chain detailing for added style.
- Zip up on the side for ease putting on and taking off.
- A little stiff when first worn, but they soften up with time.
21. Amazon essentials Doc Martens alternatives
Amazon Essentials Women’s Lace Up Combat Boot SHOP HERE
You can’t go wrong with a classic simple combat boot as an alternative to a pair of Doc Martens. Get the tough, edgy look for a fraction of the price, by getting a more simple boot that’s arguably more wearable. These Amazon essentials boots will match everything – wear them with jeans or dresses for a cute punky look.
They are also SO affordable!
- Chunky rubber soles.
- Inside zipper for easy access when slipping on and taking off.
- A breathable jersey lining – this is so important, especially in the warmer months!
- Faux leather – vegan friendly!
- Great price!
- Size up if you want some wiggle room or to wear chunky socks!
If you’re enjoying this article share it on Pinterest!
We can never have enough boots (am I right?!), so save this post for later by sharing it to Pinterest. Refer to it again next time you fancy some new boots and want to read a review!
What to look for in a doc martens alternative
When searching for Doc Martens alternatives keep in mind these three things:
- Quality – Do you want real leather boots or vegan friendly shoes? Look for a quality material whichever your choice and make sure the boots are breathable. There’s nothing worse than sweaty feet that can’t breath in your shoes. It’s also key to make sure you size up or down depending on the boot and whether you want to wear chunky socks. Some boots are more narrow so you’ll need to size up, whereas others run a little large, so you can wear you winter socks with them.
- Price – After you’ve decided on the quality of the boots you would like, you need to set yourself a reasonable price point that fits your budget. In honesty, you get what you pay for. It’s best to try and balance budget and quality, to make sure you’re really thinking about how the boots will work for you.
- Style – When shopping for Doc Martens alternatives there are a few that are so close to the style of the brand that you should be able to get a close dupe. But – there are so many styles of combat boots out there with the Dr. Martens silhouette, but with much funkier patterns and styles. Why not get something a little less well known, but more unique, so you can stand out from the crowd.
Thank you for reading this Doc Martens Alternatives affordable guide! I hope you feel inspired to shop for some cheap Dr. Martens dupes to add to your shoe collection.
Choosing an affordable pair is so much fun, and it’s sometimes better than buying the Docs themselves – in terms of price, breaking them in and range of styles available. Treat yourself to a pair and enjoy rocking the style on a budget!
If you enjoyed this article I’d be honoured if you checked out more fun reads below…